Black Hat 2023 is less than a month away in Las Vegas. The following is a curated list of talks, parties, and other highlights worth checking out at this year's show.
What is Black Hat USA 2023?
In its 26th year, Black Hat USA is a six-day program focused on cybersecurity. Beginning with trainings on August 5–8, and ending with Business Hall hours on August 10, thousands of cybersecurity professionals will attend Black Hat USA at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center.
Black Hat USA 2023 Trainings
There are over 125 training sessions in 14 different tracks, ranging from beginner to advanced skill levels. You can find the full list of available trainings and sort by track and skill level. A few highlights:
- Abusing Active Directory (On-Prem & Azure) — In this course, we introduce common Active Directory misconfigurations for both on-premise and Azure, what their root cause is, and how they can be abused. The course focuses on abusing real-life misconfigurations and steers away from the traditional penetration testing tools and methodologies.
- Advanced APT Threat Hunting & Incident Response — This course is built to arm attendees with the ability to detect, respond, and remediate an APT-level attack. Attendees will be challenged with practical labs built around a simulated APT intrusion covering each stage of the ATT&CK chain.
- Hacking Enterprises - 2023 Red Edition — In this multi-layered offensive engagement, you will fully compromise a simulated enterprise in this immersive hands-on course that covers a multitude of TTPs. Targeting modern operating systems, including Windows 11 (22H2), you'll use modern techniques and focus on exploiting configuration weaknesses rather than throwing traditional exploits. Logical thinking and creativity will definitely be put to the test!
Black Hat USA 2023 Briefings
Black Hat Briefings are meant to give cybersecurity professionals a place to " learn the very latest in information security risks, research, and trends." Briefings are on Wednesday, August 9, and Thursday, August 10, and the full schedule is here. Interesting topics include:
- Keynote: Guardians of the AI Era: Navigating the Cybersecurity Landscape of Tomorrow — With Maria Markstedter
- Devising and Detecting Phishing: Large Language Models (GPT3, GPT4) vs. Smaller Human Models (V-Triad, Generic Emails) — With speakers Fredrik Heiding and Jeremy Bernstein, Contributors Bruce Schneier and Arun Vishwanath
- Keynote: A Fireside Chat with Jen Easterly and Viktor Zhora
Black Hat USA 2023 Business Hall
The Black Hat USA Business Hall features hundreds of vendors meeting with cybersecurity professionals to showcase solutions, network, and learn from each other. Also swag. You can find the full list of sponsors here, as well as a schedule of sponsored sessions here. Axonius will be at Booth 1040, and it's nearly impossible to miss our booth:
Daniel Trauner, senior director of security at Axonius will be presenting a sponsored session:
Dogfooding Axonius: Patching Unmanaged Applications and More
Wednesday, August 9 | 1:15 p.m.–1:35 p.m. (Mandalay Bay L)
At Axonius, we love using our own product! As an authoritative system of record for all of our infrastructure, the Axonius Cybersecurity Asset Management Platform has served as a key part of our own internal security and IT practices throughout the company's history of growth. This has included helping us measure both the deployment progress and overall impact of new security controls, establishing clear ROI in each case.
In this session, you'll learn:
- How Axonius transformed company employees into powerful allies in strengthening corporate security posture
- The role Axonius Cybersecurity Asset Management played in bridging the gap between identifying and fixing vulnerabilities
- How Axonius thinks generally about monitoring the effectiveness of its own security controls
Parties at Black Hat USA 2023
A full list of Black Hat USA parties is available here. Some highlights:
Tuesday, August 8
- ICONIQ Growth at Black Hat 2023 — Join a group of exceptional entrepreneurs, CISOs, and cybersecurity luminaries (like, leaders from companies including 1Password, Axonius, Drata, Netskope, Orca Security, and Panther) for an energizing afternoon of connection, conversation, and cocktails. (email for details)
- Guidepoint Security Happy Hour — Guidepoint's expert teams across a broad range of cyber disciplines will be on hand to share their unique industry knowledge and perspectives.
When: 5:30 p.m.
Where: Skyfall Lounge
- Happy Hour at 1923 Prohibition Bar — Join Axonius, Wiz, Google Cloud, and Contrast Security for an exclusive happy hour event.
When: 7:00 p.m.
Where: 1923 Prohibition Bar
- Neon Noir: The HackerOne Party @ Black Hat — Wear your favorite neon attire for HackerOne's Neon Noir party on the night before Black Hat.
When: 8:00 p.m.—11 p.m.
Where: Eyecandy Bar & Lounge Mandalay Bay
Wednesday, August 9
- Black Hat Booth Crawl
When: 4:00 p.m.—5:00 p.m.
Where: Axonius Booth 1040
- VIP HAPPY HOUR @ BLACKHAT — Kick off the first night of Black Hat 2023 with beers, cocktails, and hors d’oeuvres with over 300 of your peers, BigID, and a whole host of partners at Black Hat 2023.
When: 6 p.m.–9 p.m.
Where: Flanker Kitchen + Sports Bar at Mandalay Bay
- Adversaries Exposed: A CrowdStrike Party! — Join CrowdStrike for cocktails, live music, and a few party crashers hiding in plain sight.
When: 6:30 p.m.
Where: Eyecandy Bar & Lounge at Mandalay Bay
Meet with Axonius at Black Hat USA 2023
We'll be giving demos at Booth 1040 both days, and if you stop by, you'll also be able to participate in our Black Hat Bingo. Fill in each of the squares over the course of the conference, and you'll be entered into a chance to win a portable Asobu Cold Brew Maker! See you in Las Vegas!